Structure: The Summer Youth Organizer position is a part-time internship for those who want to engage neighbors and improve the community. These positions are designed for young people (specifically ages 14-25), though all applicants who are willing and able to empower young people to take leadership on a community scale are welcome to apply. Interns will work 120 hours between June and August 2012 (about 12 hours per week). Learn more about the overall campaign at www.mnourpower.org.
Internship Roles:Interns may apply for or focus in the following work areas (interns may be asked to help our in other work areas based on needs):
- Basic Our Power outreach – knocking on doors and attending community events to engage community members, sign them on as supporters, and connect them to energy-saving programs.
- Block Captain/ Community Volunteer Coordinator – support and train community volunteers who want to engage their friends or neighbors.
- Home Energy Savings Workshops – work with Our Power partner Cooperative Energy Futures to conduct home workshops educating community members about how to save energy in their homes.
- Business Efficiency Outreach – work with Our Power partner the Latino Economic Development Center to engage local businesses in energy saving programs. Spanish proficiency is required as many businesses are Spanish speaking.
- Special Projects – Web development and media creation, coalition building, policy development, and graphic design projects may be proposed/ requested. We are most likely to accept interns for these projects in for-credit or volunteer roles.
Compensation: Applicants may request a:
- Paid internship – receives stipends every 2 weeks at $6.25 per hour ($750 total).
- 2 or 4 credit internship through an educational institution (time may be adjusted based on internship requirements of that institution).
- Volunteer role – your schedule and time commitment are flexible and based on what you want to get out of the project.
How To Apply: Spring Interns have already been selected, and we are now inviting applications for the summer. To apply, complete the below application – you may also request a paper application by emailing email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until filled with a priority deadline of Saturday May 12th. An interview will take place after your application is received if you are being considered for this internship.